All Power America APG3014 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Generator Review

This is my review about All Power America APG3014 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Generator Review

The All-Power America APG3014 generator with 3 Hp, JF156 engine performs OK for the price but the output power is less than advertised.

Using accurate meters, an oscilloscope, and some resistive loads, I measured several output factors:

1.) voltage was 122.5 Volts.

2). reliable current was only 10 Amps (1225 watts) -- 11 Amps (1348 watts) caused the engine to slow way down and 12 Amps (1470 watts) caused the engine to stop.

3.) waveform was sinusoidal without anything plugged in but turned somewhat triangular under load.

4.) frequency was 60 Hz except while the engine throttle was adjusting to different appliance loads.

When looking at the manufacturer (Jiangsu Jiangdong Group) specifications web page for their JD 1500 unit, I noticed that they rate their JF156 engine, 60 Hz unit at only 1.3 kVA (1300 watts -- not 1400 watts as advertised for the All-Power America version and with a peak output of 1.5 kVA (1500 watts -- not the 2000 watts as advertised for the All-Power America version.

My conclusion is that the JF156, 3 Hp engine is undersized and can't produce advertised output. I see that the APG3010 All-Power America 2000 watt unit uses a 4 HP engine All Power America APG3010 2,000 Watt 4 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator.

We have had a number of short-term electric power outages due to weather conditions such as wind, ice, and snow causing trees and limbs to fall into the power lines. I wanted a small, inexpensive generator to power a few appliances and lights during infrequent, short-term outages.

I tested the generator simulating a power outage and it performed fairly well. It powered our natural gas central heating furnace igniter and blower motor, refrigerator, computers, bathroom exhaust fans, and lights -- all at the same time.

My unit started up with only a few pulls. The unit is as loud as our 5 HP lawnmower. The battery-charging feature works well. The Physical size of the unit was larger than advertised: height 14 3/4 in., width 13 3/4 in., and length 18 1/16 in.

I called the All-Power America customer service line and only had to wait for about 30 seconds to speak to the rep. She was very helpful and gave me contact information for service shops in the cities near me.

I'm happy with the value of this purchase for my application but, if I planned to use any serious power tools, I'd get a substantially larger generator unit.

Good luck.